Healthy habits: Creating a lifestyle with wellness at the centre of what you do
Written by Lashara, Fit Living Method
Creating a lifestyle with wellness at the centre of what you do doesn't have to be overcomplicated or fancy. I am a big believer in creating a lifestyle that works for you and establishing habits that enable you to feel good and stay active without much effort!
Here are ten essential habits that can positively impact your health and overall sense of well-being:
1. Regular Exercise: Engaging in regular physical activity not only improves your physical health but also boosts your mood and mental resilience. Aim for a mix of cardio like running or swimming, strength training with weights, and flexibility exercises like yoga or Pilates.
2. Balanced Nutrition: Fuel your body with nutrient-rich foods. Focus on a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats. Variety is the spice of life, so aim to eat the rainbow and keep things interesting with different options. Try not to exclude whole food groups such as carbs, as these are a great source of energy.
3. Adequate Hydration: Drinking enough water is essential for every bodily function, including maintaining mental clarity and emotional balance. Aim for at least 8 glasses of water a day, and an additional 500 ml on days where you break a sweat.
4.Quality Sleep: Prioritise sleep as a cornerstone of well-being. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night to support your body's recovery and mental resilience. Follow a good sleep routine and avoid doom scrolling before bed.
5. Mindful Eating: Pay attention to your eating habits. Eat slowly, savouring each bite, and listen to your body's hunger and fullness cues. Try to avoid eating while watching screens and take time to connect with the meal in front of you.
6. Stress Management: Practice stress-reduction techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, reading, yoga, exercise or engaging hobbies. Managing stress is crucial for mental health and enables better decision making.
7. Positive Social Connections: Nurture relationships with family and friends. Positive social interactions provide emotional support and contribute to your mental well-being. Prioritise keeping up those connections that make you feel good and enrich you as a person.
8. Limit Screen Time: Reduce excessive screen time, especially before bed. The blue light emitted by screens can disrupt your sleep patterns and affect your mental health. I am a big fan of reading before bed or listening to a good podcast.
9. Mindfulness and Meditation:
Cultivate mindfulness through meditation or mindfulness exercises. These practices can help you stay present, reduce anxiety, and enhance mental resilience. Even going for a walk in nature can help reduce stress levels and increase your awareness.
Remember, the journey to better health and mental resilience is unique for each individual. Start small, be patient with yourself, and celebrate your progress along the way. These habits, when consistently incorporated into your lifestyle, can pave the way for a healthier, happier, and more resilient you.
If you are looking for more support with how you can start your wellness journey, book a complimentary call with Lashara today.